Wanted Free Or Cheap To A Good Home

Guest mithrandir

Guest mithrandir

I work with the Air Cadets and we like to get them shooting but both equipment and cash is sadly lacking.

If any of you out there have any info on cheap weapons or equipment for prone only .22Lr drop me a line.

Central Scotland only please as my job tends to restrict travel.

equally any good gunshops in this area or any good contacts would be appreciated.

Lets get the kids shooting

Guest Shrek

Look for some BSA Martinis at auction.

Not the greatest but not expensive. You could get one in good nick for £10 at auction (well thats what we sold ours for).

Cheers

Richard

I would have thought someone calling themselves Merlin could just make them appear :D:D:D

Seriously though I have a good prone mat you can have for a tenner and another for a fiver. If your interested I'll email you a pic.

Don't knock BSA Martinis. John Pugsley uses one for all his smallbore shooting and as someone good behind the stock he shoots consistently at the top of any smallbore shooting league table both indoors and outdoors in X class and usually makes the Roberts final at Bisley. The other significant advantage is that they can be shot by both right and left handers so are ideal as club guns. They were also made at the time when the steel used was better than it is today!

.. and I still have my trusty old BSA. Great rifles, getting parts for it is the main

problem.

Maybe Mac, or some of the other central belt folk can help you?

hi, i am an ex-army cadet. i asume that things are similar for all services, that is that your area command should have some funding to either give you or the cadets, so that they can bring equipment to you. or you could do what my old range did which was to apply to "awards for all". which is lottery money. the most you can bid for is £5000. but you need to enphasise that disabled people and people from every social background will be able to and encouraged to use the equipment. they are sort of the buzz words to use. if you do do it and fill out a list of stuff you want, round up the prices, so £190 becomes £200. then you will get enough to spend if prices go up, or you have to mail order them.

Minichop

Guest mithrandir

Cheers for all your replies,

thanks for the auction lead but the purchase method we have to use prevents this approach.

we already have a couple of BSA internationals one a Mk I and one Mk II and they shoot just dandy and due to their simplicity and robustness are ideal for the cadets.

we have a line at the mo on a Mk4 one lady owner in immaculate condition we are trying to drum up cash for but are also looking to maybe get a bolt or two if the price is right.

to clear location up I'm in Fife so central scotland is anywhere i can get to in a few hours which i suppose is Aberdeen area to glasgow area.

Again thanks for your help

It depends which country you are in - lottery funding is administered differently in each of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland & Wales.

Guest mithrandir

Are there any websites or web based info for this lottery grant deal?

It sounds like it may be worth a go, after all the worst that can happen is that we will be in the same position as we are at the mo.

Thanks for your posts

Mithrandir

Are there any websites or web based info for this lottery grant deal?

It sounds like it may be worth a go, after all the worst that can happen is that we will be in the same position as we are at the mo.

Thanks for your posts

Mithrandir

Lottery funding for sport is administered in Scotland by SportScotland.

Alternatively, try your local sports council - Fife have been supportive of other clubs in your area.

The awards for all scheme works well in England, our club applied and received £4935. It might be worth ringing them up to see if any subsidiary branches are covering Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland

The application form is straightforward to fill in, have a look at the site and see what you think; they will be raising the amount awarded to £10000 in the next few months.

http://www.awardsforall.org.uk/england/eng_main.html

http://www.c-f.org.uk/cgi-fund/a4a/england...A4E/2/010089900

Trev

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the purchase method that you have to use??

I'm the Sqn Shooting Officer at 1344 (Cardiff) Sqn ATC. If you have any questions regarding systems the ATC uses etc send me an email to griff.morgan@tiscali.co.uk and I will do my best to assist. What Wing are you in?

Your best bet for kit is to speak to local clubs and see what they have there. You might also be able to get extra coaching from these clubs. They are a fountain of knowledge (good and bad) that very few units take advantage of.

Alternatively, view club websites and look for web links to overseas retailers where you might be able to save money by not having to pay VAT.

Hope this helps

Griff