Centra Duplex

chunter177

Squishy had a really nice high quality one with many extra he was trying to sell, dont know if he sold it. I use a lens on my rear sight and preferred my lens to the Duplex, but I know plenty do like them.

Jonty

Chris

I have several of them, I had gone over entirely to using them on all our rifles and all our sights, both my wife and I. I really like them, BUT, they are very (I mean VERY) sensitive to light to set up correctly, its not just a matter of putting it on and adjusting to centre, the issue is about getting the correct size element, I also have a variable one which I used last. The principle is about judging the gap around the outside of the element and in a range with constant light such as an indoor range (or a good continental ISSF range) they are great, in any range with varying light (any UK out door range) they can need a change of element, and iris opening, or in some cases the light change is such that you can not get a gap at all and end up taking the Duplex off.

Shooting to NSRA rules open shoots, you can't touch the rifle until the start of the detail so have no time to set the Duplex up to the light, if its right the light changes and you are stuffed, I even found that the variable element did not have enough varaiance to cope with some changes. Its not just range light, its inside light, outside light, and the contrast between them produces different issues, some you can adjust with rear iris size, some not.

My conclusion was, great, as long as you always shoot on the same range in the same light conditions, or you shoot to ISSF timings and have time to set up at each shoot and then the light stays the same! Fabulous when shooting in constant light conditions, a nightmare when not!

My wife first stopped using hers due to having problems in some open shoots with light changes and found it a complication she did not want, I persevered for a year but now I have followed suit and stopped using them, I really like them, and if we only shot on nice constant light ranges I'd still use them.

I have a couple I'd sell, (both new unused) but you need to know the element size that suits you and that is dependent on several factors, your vision, iris opening, eye relief, light, etc, its difficult to advise as what suits me does not suit you.

PS. You will need a sight with a MEC lenshood to fit one.

Robin

Edited by RobinC

• 2 weeks later...