Supermatch Or Xx11 Prone Rifle Found

tim g

Hi All,

I'm hoping you may be able to help me out. My FEO assures me my FAC will be through the post any day now and I'm itching to get myself kitted out with my own rifle so I can move on from the Club's BSA mk5 (great rifle; doesn't fit me very well).

So please, If you've seen a RH Supermatch Rifle for sale on your club's notice board do drop me a PM please.

My budget is flexible- I'd be happy with an 1413 (with the later, adjustable cheek piece) or 1613 leaving me with funds for fancy bits and good ammo. However, I'll happily consider spending more on 1813, 1913, FWB2602 or KK200......

Basically, provided it's known to shoot well at 50m, is fully adjustable, and is priced between 350 and 800ish I'd love to hear about it.

Great many thanks,

Tim :)

PS based in North Oxfordshire, willing to travel upto 2.5hrs

Edited by tim g

Tim,

if you look here: http://forum.stirton.com/index.php/topic/5518-advice-on-first-rifle-purchase/ and here http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46644 you'll find notes on looking over a used rifle. There aren't too many pitfalls.

The rifle in the link is IMO a little on the high side; the sights are basic, although the buttplate is the latest version.

Tim,

if you look here: http://forum.stirton.com/index.php/topic/5518-advice-on-first-rifle-purchase/ and here http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46644 you'll find notes on looking over a used rifle. There aren't too many pitfalls.

The rifle in the link is IMO a little on the high side; the sights are basic, although the buttplate is the latest version.

Cheers Tim,

I've had your targettalk post bookmarked for nearly a year - hugely useful.

Thank you

T

Tim,

Whilst I agree that it is on the high side, I think prices have gone up (inexplicably) of late, so its not too far off.

Tim,

Whilst I agree that it is on the high side, I think prices have gone up (inexplicably) of late, so its not too far off.

Yes prices seem exceptionally variable. 1813s in particular - i've seen listings from 550-850!?

I'm think i'm starting to err toward an older/cheaper rifle so that i can afford some good ammo for the when the 50m season starts up.

T

An older or cheaper rifle is an option. There isn't a lot of difference between, say a 1970s 1413 Supermatch (with adjustable cheekpiece) and the 1980s 1813. The 1813 has a much better trigger, and a faster firing pin, but the barrels are made in the same way as the 1413, and in terms of ergonomics the stocks are broadly similar (some 1813s have a better buttplate than the 1413, and some have the same). The chronological age of a barrel isn't so important as the condition, i.e it doesn't have a ridiculous round count, isn't bulged, and isn't rusty or pitted.

Alternatively, have you thought of a Prone rifle, these share the same heavy barrel as a Supermatch, but have a simpler non-thumbhole stock. Anschutz prone rifle from the 1970s onwards had adjustable cheekpieces, and a better grip shape than the BSA. Standard rifles are also cheaper, although the stock design isn't optimal for prone. It's worth remembering that your first rifle doesn't have to last forever; if you paid a fair price, you won't lose much when selling it on. Also if the barrel is good, just upgrading to a modern stock can be a more economical option. Anschutz stocks are very easily changed.

Like Tim mentions I would try looking for a late 1811 prone rifle. If you are only shooting prone then you are unlikely to notice nay difference to a similar vintage 1813. There are fewer of them as many prone shooters bought the 1813 anyway, but if you find one it is likely to be a bit cheaper, as it hasn't got the expensive hooked butt plate, etc which pushes up the price of the 1813. The pistol grip on the late 1811 is the essentially the same as for the 1813, except that where the top of the thumbhole on the 1813 is the 1811 has that bit of wood removed. This is the same as for the concurrent design of stock for both Standard Rifle (1807) and even the match air rifles of the period.

Alan

Thanks Chaps,

All good points and duly noted. My main reason for homing in on the XX13 is because i'm hoping it will fit my non-average body shape more easily. That said, if an XX11 were to come along at a fair price it'll get full consideration.

Tim

I am intrigued about your reference for better ammo! What do you use now and what would you like to use.

What disciplines do you intend to use it for and at what distances. There have been discussions on here of late about Eley Edge. Now that won't break the bank. It may be that you may buy expensive ammo that will not give you any advantage.

Do I take it you are quite tall Tim, hence the decision to try to get a more adjustable stock.

Jonty

Hi Jonty,

I'm shooting prone. At my club we enter 25y, 50m and 100y postal comps. I have dreams and aspirations of one day attending shoulder to shoulder comps.

I'm still cutting my teeth at this game and have been happily shooting Eley Club and RWS Club at 25y achieving scores in the region 90-95. I scored my first 97 this week. Whoops and cheers were had aplenty.

Most of the guys at my club use Eley Edge quite happily and this is what I'd like to move onto. It's not mega expensive but represents a significant cost increase from RWS Club at 3 squid / 50.

I'm 6'1" and skinny. A significant proportion of my height comes from my giraffe like neck and I have sloping shoulders. I tried shooting 10m air rifle for a while and had great difficulty getting the sights upto eye level, even with high sight risers. I had to painfully bend my back and eventually got fed up with the discomfort. Prone seems to suit my physiology much more.

Hope that explains a few things :-)

Tim

Tim,

At 6' 1" an xx11 stock should be ok. These are a little longer in the butt than xx13 and xx07 rifles (back in the day when these were designed prone positions were a lower and wider), and can be a bit too long for those of average height, whereas you just wouldn't need to extend the butt as much.

Raiser blocks for the sights may be your friend.

Tim,

At 6' 1" an xx11 stock should be ok. These are a little longer in the butt than xx13 and xx07 rifles (back in the day when these were designed prone positions were a lower and wider), and can be a bit too long for those of average height, whereas you just wouldn't need to extend the butt as much.

Cheers for the pointers Tim. I'll happily extend the search to include xx11 rifles too. If only I could find a way to edit the thread's topic line!

T

Tim,

Cheers for the pointers Tim. I'll happily extend the search to include xx11 rifles too. If only I could find a way to edit the thread's topic line!

T

To change your header,

In your ad, click on 'edit' then 'full editor' and then you can change the header.

As for the ammo, Edge is about £112 per 1,000 (With a bit of discount for 1k) so thats £56 per 500, then £5.60 for a box of 50. Sounds good to me for a nights shooting.

Ensure on your Firearm cert application you have authority to possess max 1500 and to purchase max 1,000. At the least. I know FEO try to get you to have less, but as an avid shooter who is attending many shoots, that is a reasonable amount to have.

You shouldnt have to spend all your time travelling to buy ammo from your nearest gun dealer who has the type of ammo you require, especially if the dealer is some distance away and difficult to get to.

I hope my comments may help.

Jonty