Price Estimate For Gun Please

Guest merjp

Guest merjp

I have just come back to smallbore after a very long break and have lost all idea of gun values.

I am looking at an older match 54 action barrel date 1978 in a supermatch stock. It has been very well looked after and everything seems to be in very good condition for the age. I think it must be a very late 1413 because 1813 i think started manuf in 1979. How much shoud i be expecting to pay for this gun?

The gun is not on this forum and if i should not have placed this question here then please delete or move to an appropriate location.

Edited by merjp

Depends on:

Condition

Rear Sight

Fore Sight

Handstop

Buttplate/Hook

Which trigger unit it is

Its probably in the region of £500, but could be less depending on the above

Merjp,

you should read the sticky post in at the top of this section. Solicitation of prices in the For Sale section is not permitted by our host.

A 1978 Supermatch is commonly known as a 1613; technically these were sold as 1413 rifles, but 1977-79/80 rifles have a different trigger, and firing pin assembly to true 1413 (i.e. pre-'77) rifles, so are retrospectively labelled 16-- rather than 14--. Even Anschutz themselves use the 16-- designation. Production of 1813 rifles started some time in 1980.

Merjp,

As TimS says, we don't discuss price here as it can lead to all sorts of unwelcome complications. But, as Squishy has indicated there are so many factors to be taken into account that it is extremely difficult anyway. Another important factor is availability and demand. There may well be more available in Surrey than say Caithness and there could be fewer buyers in Northern Ireland than Birmingham. At the end of the day it's worth what you agree with the seller.

Rutty

I would always look on gun trader etc to see what it's worth. Or rather what others are selling similar models for. But at the end of the day it depends on how much you want it...

Rob.

Depends on:

Condition

Rear Sight

Fore Sight

Handstop

Buttplate/Hook

Which trigger unit it is

Its probably in the region of £500, but could be less depending on the above

This is a pretty solid checklist so maybe the best thing to do is get a rough indication of all the above then PM someone knowledgeable to give you a general idea of what they feel it should be worth.

If you seach the General Forum you'll find several posts giving more detailed information about what to look for in a second hand rifle.

In reply to Squishy, if you add up the individual prices of the items you will be way over £500. A couple of weeks ago a couple of 18 series stocks with the old large curved hook fetched nearly £400 each on 'the bay'. Start sticking handstops, bipods, sights, irises et al , oh and stick a nice barrel and action on there too, and look where you end up.

I think this is why not many nice rifles come up for sale now, they've been broken into their component parts and sold that way. Shame really, because someone wanting a full setup would have to pay a lot of money.

A quick look on Target Talk shows you what Americans ask and get for stocks. I think they must secretly cry when they see our prices, so they are eager to buy from the UK.

Jonty