Anschutz Super Match 54

Guest Greg E

Guest Greg E

FOR SALE

ANSCHUTZ SUPER MATCH 54

Model 1413 stock with thumbhole, adjustable butt hook (amended from original for ease of transport and storage) plus rising cheek piece.

Andrew Tucker fore sight tunnel plus 5 elements. Original rear sight.

See pictures. For other pictures see :

Price : SOLD

post-2134-0-29487100-1369588677_thumb.jpg

post-2134-0-73545400-1369588694_thumb.jpg

post-2134-0-13355100-1369588709_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greg E

I don't think that's the original rearsight. I have not seen a rearsight with the bar on the windage turret that was earlier than the 1970s, but the barrel/action is 1960s (and early 1960s at that, '63 at the latest). A 1970s barrel/action would have a slightly rounded face on the bolt end-cap, and the barrel would be parallel profile, not tapered.

I don't think that's the original rearsight. I have not seen a rearsight with the bar on the windage turret that was earlier than the 1970s, but the barrel/action is 1960s (and early 1960s at that, '63 at the latest). A 1970s barrel/action would have a slightly rounded face on the bolt end-cap, and the barrel would be parallel profile, not tapered.

More to the point I don't think the stock and barrelled action are original to one another. I'd say there's a dozen years plus between them. That could be an upgrade or a downgrade depending, I suppose, on where you're starting from. If it works, i.e. doesn't fold up when you aren't expecting it, the butthook is quite cool.

I agree, stock is late '70s or possibly very early 80s.

Guest Greg E

Hmmm....not sure of the relevance of this series of comments in a For Sale posting.

However, if you take a look at an Anshutz 1413 spare parts list : Part no. 32 1413--50, then you'll note that the stock and barrel/action is consistent.

Guest Greg E

Strike that last post....I note now that the adjustable cheekpiece is not part of the original parts list...

Greg,

this is a fairly common cause of confusion. Anschutz have continually updated their stock designs, but have only changed the model numbers three times (and one of those was retrospective). So two stocks that are nominally the same but were made a few years apart, can look very different. This is true of all models to a greater or lesser degree. This is mostly confined to Anschutz rifles, partly because they are so common, but also because barrels and stocks are largely interchangeable (excepting the lightweight Match 64, and the square-actioned 20-series rifles).

The differences can be used to date rifles and stocks.

The original stock for your barrel looked broadly similar to the one it's in now: thumbhole grip, hookbutt. However that's as far as it goes. The original stock had a fixed cheekpiece, yours is adjustable (a feature added around 1971/72). The original stock was adjustable for butt length, and butt height, yours can also be moved sideways, and canted. The original had one-piece hook/butt, on yours the hook is separate and can be rotated (excluding the alteration). The orginal had a chequered grip, yours is stippled. I could go on further about the shape of the grip and fore-end.

With a flat-backed bolt and the old-style muzzle, my bet is just the one.

Hmmm....not sure of the relevance of this series of comments in a For Sale posting.

However, if you take a look at an Anshutz 1413 spare parts list : Part no. 32 1413--50, then you'll note that the stock and barrel/action is consistent.

The relevance is, I would suggest, that sometimes people inadvertently give the wrong information on their ads, and it is thankfully that knowledgeable people, like Tim etc, are able to correct the mistakes.

Some person may look at an ad, maybe being a newbie, and understand what is written to be correct, buy something only to realise later it is not as described. Then begins the process to sort the matter out. By the input of Tim et al, this problem may be alleviated.

Jonty

With a flat-backed bolt and the old-style muzzle, my bet is just the one

That's what I would have bet as well. It is conceiveable; although unlikely; that the rear housing may have been replaced. Double extractor introduced 1964/5? I had a 1963 rifle with a single.

Rutty

That sounds about right; the newest single claw I've seen was '64 and the oldest double claw is '66. I don't think the end-cap could have been changed from round to flat, as the front receiver ring isn't dovetailed.

The second claw was added after the barrel profile was changed, about the same time the front reciver ring was grooved, but before the cocking pin became separated from the firing pin.