Mec Anti Pulse Sling

GaryD

Well after all the comments both positive and negative, I have decided to get one especially as I have been offered one at a reasonable price.

So watch this space as I will soon be offering my Kurt Thune ATL sling for sale.

I have found this to be great sling...

As with everything in shooting we all should make cheaks on our kit everytime before shooting, with having a gemini butt plate this has been a must as bolt/screws do work loose, so the mec sling is no exception.

One time when going through my cheaks I found one screw half undone so that was soon tighten and when cheaking all the others one or two were also loose, but now with cheaks in place I have had no problems.

As for the ball bearings on the screw-in part on the sling loop that was taken care of because I cut that part off, because the Mec loop is a little bigger so would not fit into the Gemini handstop that I have.

I replace it with a Gemini loop which is a little smaller and just butchered the old Kurt Thune sling I had for the screws,the KT sling had seen better days and I was not going to pass that onto anyone in that state!!!

By folding over the strap then fix in place with two screws I had only lost around 2 inch's of strap there was plenty that I was not needed anyway as I had cheaked that already. So then just took all the others scews out of the KT sling for spares just incase I did loose any from the Mec sling at anytime...

Its the boy scout in me I suppose!!!

I find the small pully wheel ajuster to be of great use with firing point levels being different as we all know many are!!!!

And with doing Any-sights comps this small ajustment is worth its weight in gold, while in position you can soon make ajustments to sling tension...I have had my Mec sling now for about 3 years and have been very pleased with it....Mark

Edited by Ark Fitz

The problem I had with them was the "Buckle" pulling through the holes in the front "strap"it actually pulled through to the next set of holes. I got a replacement strap from my dealer and this happened again.

I then contacted MEC and never heard from them until one day a full set of straps arrived in the Mail! These seem slightly thicker and I have had no trouble since then. Great service from MEC to New Zealand.

Gary I hope you do not mind me jumping into your thread.

How firm or loose does anyone who uses these slings have the Cuff around the arm I have not seen any "user instructions" I use it fairly loose/open?

I use mine fairly loose, relying on the shoulder strap (I think it' called the "connect") to keep it in position.

I reckon I could get at least a couple of fingers in the gap between sling and arm but I haven't tried. It's not so long that the cuff contacts my forearm though.

Gary I hope you do not mind me jumping into your thread.

How firm or loose does anyone who uses these slings have the Cuff around the arm I have not seen any "user instructions" I use it fairly loose/open?

No problem at all Martin, any debate or information on shooting is as far as I am concerned welcome.

I have seen a good shooter with it reasonably tight on their arm but still able to get their fingers under the cuff, if this is the same as Timinder's fairly loose description I do not know

My early training always suggested to have the sling as loose as possible so it doesnt pull on veins etc. I have always tended towards the idea of having the top strap and bottom strap running close to parallel as they go towards the handstop so it doesnt cut round your arm and rest on anything with a pulse.

In my limited knowledge the pulseless sling is aimed an making sure there is equal tension from top and bottom of the straps round the arm, but it still needs to be loose so that its not tugging tightly round the arm (which is different from the equal tensions on the pulseless sling idea).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got one and find it excellent, wth no real sign of wear.

I think the ball bearings would be the ones in the sling/handstop attachment. For some reason you have to screw in the knob to lock it rather than a push-button as found on other types. I've often thought when undoing it that if I unscrewed it too far, the balls might fall out!

I can confirm that, yes, the ball bearings DO fall out if you keep undoing that screw (it's easier than you think!)

It's happened to me once during a match, and a handful of times in training, and now it's just become part of my drill to make sure the screw is done up again fully after I undo it to release it. Hasn't happened since.

I can also add it is ALMOST impossible to get the BBs back in again, and a real pain in the a*se.

I told MEC about the problem, and asked what I could do to prevent it, and they sent me a new front part of the sling. As I eventually found the missing BB (it was in the turn up of my jeans...) I now always carry a spare in my kit bag :)

In short, great sling, just be careful when undoing it and ALWAYS do it up tight immediately after you release it from the handstop.

Well I tried the MEC sling out yesterday for the first time it felt ok and is very well made, is it worth the full asking price NO.

I can also see where you can have trouble with ones "Ball's" falling out, in practice a pain in the bum, in a competition a nightmare, so I might modify the sling to take the standard spring loaded fitting.

Has anyone done this because of theirs falling apart.

Edited by GaryD

Im fairly sure the ISSF have introduced a rule about not allowing ones balls to fall out on the firing point.

I am sure I have read it as well ?