Wanted Telescopic Sight

GaryD

Have a look on the NSRA internet shop as there are some new scopes at very resonable prices and good named brands such as Tasco, BSA, and now Hawke 24 X 44 with fine cross hairs with a mil dot centre would be good. I use a EB/Weaver this is a great bit of kit but hard to find these days which is 24 x 44 or if you are in no hurry wait until Bisley week and see what comes up on the sale boards in Stats. Hope this helps you and you find what you are looking for. Slainte Mark

Unfortunately Edgar Bros. have dropped the Opti mate (EB) scopes. There are now only 3 or 4 four of the Opti-mate 36×44 scopes left new in the UK as my local dealer bought up the last of them, all the rest are now gone. It is a shame that they have dropped them, as they were very good scopes for the money, and totally Japanese made. They were not selling enough to make them worth while apparently, but then they didn't seem to want to make much of an effort to sell them! Deben have also dropped all the high mag "Target" scopes from their line up, seems they are now only interested in the hunting and "Tactical" market. I believe that Tasco still list a couple of target type scopes but they are going through another change of importer at the moment, so availability is likely to be difficult for a while, that is if the new importer actually bothers bringing any in. It certainly seems that the official British importers don't sell enough of the "Target" type scopes to make importing them worthwhile, and when they do get the higher end ones such as the Leaupold's they end up being so expensive compared to what they are in say the USA. None of the high end European manufactures seem to make a target scope either. I think for a 24× target scope then the Weaver T24 is probably the way to go at the moment, if you can find one for sale in the UK that is.

Trying to get one from abroad is also difficult now due to the fact that any scope over 4× magnification needs to have an export licence and end user certification, even for personal export. This is thanks to the UN and makes legally finding a scope from a retailer say in the USA difficult as well, that is if you can find one that will send you one. If customs anywhere along the line find it without the expensive paperwork needed then at best you will loose it and at worst both of you could be doing time, probably in a US Federal Prison :unsure: . This is because they consider any scope over the 4× magnification to automatically be classed as a military grade weapon, although it seems to me that most optics fitted to military firearms are actually under 4× mag, lots of assault rifles not may sniper ones in most Army's.

Sorry to be so negative about this, I was luckier in one respect that when I was looking for a target scope I wanted 36× and there is at least the Sightron 36×42 BRD which is a really nice scope and the importers are really good to deal with, but they do not have a 24×, and I was able to get my local dealer to buy up the last batch of ten Opti-mate 36×44's so I now have what I need for the foreseeable future. I guess it might be a case of phoning around to see what people have available.

Al

Thanks for the information guys, it looks like I will have to look around a bit more.

I will be going to the Bisley smallbore shoot for the day, so I will have a look on the board in the stats tent when I am up there, but i was hoping to get one sooner rather than later.

Al What do you use the 36X for, at that magnification I would be all over the place

Well I actually stared shooting prone with a cheap (£200) Hawke 10-40×50 target scope prone, although that was more like looking through the bottom of a milk bottle really. Saying that it was a revelation in that at 100 yards you can easily see the scoring rings on your target, and of course most importantly you can see the hold pattern and exactly what it is doing. I also used it on my AA S400 at 24× standing for LSR comps. Due to ill health I now mostly use the 36× scopes for benchrest shooting, when I can get to the range to shoot which is not often these days.

Actually for prone shooting the high mag scopes like the 36× that I use are very easy to get used to, if you have used low magnification scopes in the past that will help as you are used to what to expect. Prone you do not really jump around a lot while you are on aim, although it looks as if you are moving a long way as you breathe. I would not recommend it for a novice but if you have been shooting for a good while with reasonable results then working with that sort of magnification is fine. I guess that it is like any training aid in that you have to have a basic skill set before they become useful, just like the with the Scatt, if you can't at least reliably hit the black say (for standing) then you won't get much useful return from using it.

Al

Well I have had a phone around and guess what I cant find anybody with the scopes mentioned above.

Rather than wait until bisley week can anyone recommend a good quality scope covering 24x to 36x

i used a bsa contender with 36x zoom and i only recently upgraded to a mtc viper which has 24x zoom both scopes served me well

• 4 weeks later...

Well I have had a phone around and guess what I cant find anybody with the scopes mentioned above.

Rather than wait until bisley week can anyone recommend a good quality scope covering 24x to 36x

As Al has said the dealer he is talking about does have these telescopes in stock and I know they do because, I have spoken to the guy today. They now only have Three E/B x36 scopes left at £219.00 which is very good price, the firm is called Youngmans base at Gt. Yarmouth tel:- 01493859814 Cheers Mark

Fitz I was in the shop yesterday, looks like he has now sold them all. I really wish that Edgars still did the Opti-Mate scopes, I have four of them the two 36x's an 8-32 which is a zoom version of the target scope. I also have one of the 30mm tube 20x tactical scopes on my old Mauser 7.62 TR rifle. Great glass all of them.

Al.

Fitz I was in the shop yesterday, looks like he has now sold them all. I really wish that Edgars still did the Opti-Mate scopes, I have four of them the two 36x's an 8-32 which is a zoom version of the target scope. I also have one of the 30mm tube 20x tactical scopes on my old Mauser 7.62 TR rifle. Great glass all of them.

Al.

It may be a good to check as I had put two of them by for two friends but both had purchased scopes without me knowing last weekend a Redfield & a Lymain so I phone him yesterday to tell him to put them back on the shelf to sell.

Yes I agree these Scope's are brill talking to Tony King of Bedford Target Supplies the same sort of scope that you may inport would cost around £600 so at £219 its a good price for someone. Cheers Mark

Edited by Ark Fitz