Wanted- Fwb 2700 Or Anschutz Equivalent (1913)

Hello.

I have been shooting prone for a number of years now. I currently use a club rifle- FWB2700 with a 24mm (heavy) barrel. I do like it a lot but I am not a big fan of the butt hook.

I am looking for a similar heavy rifle. I am not to worried about whether the stock is metal or wooden, although if I had a choice over two similarly priced rifles I would pick metal.

As far as the budget goes I am looking around the 1k mark, but maybe able to go a bit higher. I would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of any second hand rifle that would fit the description above.

Many Thanks

Tim

I am looking for a similar heavy rifle. I am not to worried about whether it is metal or wooden, although if I had a choice over two similarly priced rifles I would pick metal.

I'd recommend metal also; barrel life can be a bit short with a wooden rifle.

I'd recommend metal also; barrel life can be a bit short with a wooden rifle.

That's a bit radical. I think you're going to have to substantiate that statement.

I think Sandy may have meant that a metal stocked rifle is more likely to be of a younger vintage than a wooden stocked rifle.

However as wooden stocked (Anschutz & other makes) rifles were in parallel production with their metal stocked models for years the fact that a metal stock is on the rifle is not a reliable indicator of age. Also many people have bought metal stocks & fitted their hardware from a wooden stock version.

In the end the purchase of a second hand rifle is like buying a second hand car, buyer beware!! The best way is to buy from someone who has owned the rifle fron new, & has looked after it, or knows the history of the rifle in question.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it was more tongue'n'cheek Bill, Robin i.e. a wooden barrel's life would be short ;)

Or maybe my sense of humour has read it wrong :D