Sights for a right handed shooter using the left eye

Guest micky

Guest micky

A strange request I am sure. I am looking for something to attach to my sights for my right handed Swing to allow me to use my left eye. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest Shrek

I dont know the technical name for them but a guy down cardiff range has some blocks which would the sights in front of the left eye (both fore and rear) so in effect he sights have just moved over 2inches.

Cheers

Richard

I saw a set of offset sight bars on the Centra UK stand at the British Airgun, and I think Centra just launched a new version at the IWA show.

Where is the sight mount on your rifle - if it is a side mount then you will be struggling - these are all designed around a top mount like smallbore/air rifles.

Periscope sights are legal for NRA Fullbore so long as they are non-magnifying.

For clarification, ISSF Rifle rule 7.4.2.3.4 states "A prism or mirror device may be used when shooting from the right shoulder while aiming from the left eye or vice versa providing it does not have a magnifying lens or lenses. It must not be used when shooting from the right shoulder when using the right eye or from the left shoulder when using the left eye." (I really can't imaging what shape you would need to be to accomplish that feat!)

I think this rule applies for ISSF Sport, Standard, Free and Air rifles.

ISSF rifle rules:- http://www.issf-shooting.com/Rules/special..._for_rifle.html

I think we are all getting confused here. A Swing Rifle is a fullbore rifle which is governed under NRA and not ISSF rules. NRA fullbore is not an Olympic event

I don't believe swing rifles have been used in 300M ISSF shooting by dedicated ISSF 300M shooters.

I think the problem you encounter the most trying to get crossover sights for the swing will be the frontsight block, then trying to mount the rear sight to the same distance as the foresight in comparison to where your left eye will be aiming will also be crucial esp when shooting at long range.

Very few fullbore shooters use crossover sights and I don't believe any of the top shooters do.

I would expect your best bet would be to contact Martin Farnan at the NRA for advise via the NRA website and on getting clarification of the rules have a chat with Rob Nibbs at HPS

Griff

I didn't make my earlier post very clear. I know that the Swing is the Daddy of Fullbore rifles (IMHO :wink: ), hence governed by the NRA fullbore rules (section 11.10) which allow the use of crossover sights.

I was pointing out (mainly to Neil) that these sights are legal for international shooting, be it Fullbore, Smallbore, 300M or Air rifle.

Come to think of it a Swing is pretty much identical to a Paramount, isn't it?

If this is true then I would agree with Griff in that it'd be difficult to align foresight and rearsight properly. Unless you swapped the foresight for a Walther style dovetail block (I don't clearly recall how it's attached to the barrel).

I know JV, I was really pointing out that you have to watch which sight

you get if you get the periscope style i.e. one that has no form of

magnigication (if you plan on shooting in ISSF run comps)

Basically you can look at fullbore rifles like phones i.e. 1st Gen etc..

The Swing was made in the 70/80's then came the paramount 80/90's both of which are still very good actions when combined with a decent barrel (same for smallbore though lol)

The most recent generation of fullbore rifles has been the RPA (2000, quadlock and recently the quadlight). I can'r see much better coming out in the near future!

I had an RPA 2000 with a Kreiger 30" 1 in 13 twist... if only it was in the olympics. That rifle shot some of the best groups I had ever shot over in one year period. Had to sell it though to involve myself in a more demanding and finally better competitive discipline (smallbore)

Ce la vie!!!

A member in our club developed a problem in his right eye and was not prepared to change to left handed shooting and made himself some offset sight blocks which work very well. Whilst I understand that the request is for fullbore I believe that offset blocks are available from Anschutz but at a considerable price

• 1 month later...
Guest micky

Many thanks for all the comments and help. I'd think about trying left handed shooting, but I am rather attached to my old Swing and it fits me perfectly. I am going to look into whether a coloured filter will make any difference as I can make much better definition with the right eye wearing sunglasses, even in low light.