David Levene

Ok, I' sure this has been asked before but i'm damned if I can remember the solution.

I've got new computeritus. I cannot see any obvious difference between the setup on my new and old machines but, whereas members' avatars displayed perfectly on the old machine, the new one just shows the little cross.

XP Pro SP3, IE 7, McAfee VS Plus, Windows firewall (on or off). Exactly the same set up on the two machines, but obviously something is different.

Any ideas anyone.

It definitely seems to be the forum. I can see mine, but my is a linked image hosted offsite, whereas other people will be uploaded to forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Any chance you could increase the size limit of the uploaded avatar?

It took an hour to get

<- this

Animation down to 20kb and it looks very clunky because of all the frames I had to take out.

I was gonna make a new avatar, but it's very difficult to get the size down that low.

Would it break the server to may move it up to 80kb?

Or... Is it possible to host a larger animated GIF elsewhere and display it?

Cheers,

Dave

Is it possible, at a member-by-member level, to just turn off displaying animated avatars while leaving the static ones visible.

Animated ones are so annoying.

That's not very nice :unsure: - I put a lot of effort into my avatar to make it work and look unique :(

from a technical point of view, I don't think it would be easy to disable animated Logos like mine, because it is just a GIF file and many members use static GIFs as avatars.

If you are really offended by it, i can go back to my boring old static GIF.

Dave

If you are really offended by it, i can go back to my boring old static GIF.

It takes a lot to offend me. 20kb isn't going to do it. ;)

If you're using IE, you can apparently just hit escape and it stops animating any images - works on my machine.

Or you could permanently turn them off using - http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/02/d...mated-gifs.html

But then you'd be missing out on some wonderful content on other sites.

Dave