New Post Markers

David Levene

Is it just me or are others also having problems with the new post markers.

They seem to just appear whenever they want and "view new posts" brings up posts that I've already read.

Yes, I am pressing the "mark all posts as read and return" link.

Yes, I have tried deleting all cookies.

Yes, it does happen on more than one machine.

Any ideas?

Yes, observed this Neil.

All present with "oldest post” 18th October 18:40 (forum displayed time)

Observed on platform:

* three external IP's from different ranges

* Windows 2000, XP, Vista Pro, Windows 2003r2 and Windows 2008 server, all Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and 7 and all with public patches

This is driving me mad. I haven't got the faintest idea what I have read and what I haven't.

New Post markers appearing where they shouldn't be, not appearing where they should be, and ancient dormant threads appearing in my "View New Posts" for no reason.

I going off to open a bottle of wine (or 3).

This is driving me mad. I haven't got the faintest idea what I have read and what I haven't.

New Post markers appearing where they shouldn't be, not appearing where they should be, and ancient dormant threads appearing in my "View New Posts" for no reason.

Does seem a little strange. Posts I've read are marked as unread and posts I haven't read are supposedly marked as read? That and everything since 18th October is a new post?!

As a bit of a techie I've been racking me brains a bit, but I have to admit I'm slightly clueless. Have cleared all cookies, authenticated sessions, history, everything else and still the problem prevails wherever I access the forum. Must be something to do with the database? Any ideas Neil?

Does seem a little strange. Posts I've read are marked as unread and posts I haven't read are supposedly marked as read? That and everything since 18th October is a new post?!

As a bit of a techie I've been racking me brains a bit, but I have to admit I'm slightly clueless. Have cleared all cookies, authenticated sessions, history, everything else and still the problem prevails wherever I access the forum. Must be something to do with the database? Any ideas Neil?

At first I wondered if it could be a problem with the clock on the server... but it looks like most date and time-related stuff is working OK, so that is unlikely. But I wonder if it could be the database serve that has got its clock wrong. In any event, it looks like things started to go wrong on the 18th, so what was changed then? Neil?

Sorry guys, been quite a few late nights shooting and working ...

This seems to tie in with the latest release of the forum software which was installed on the night of the 17th approx 22:30

Shall have a quick look

Hmm,

I've rebuilt the skin cache which will mean little to most of you but all seems to be working on my MacBookPro ;)

Will check on Windows later but if someone else wants to check meanwhile ... :)

Same situation - "oldest post” 18th October 18:40 (forum displayed time)

* three external IP's from different ranges

* Windows 2000, XP, Vista Pro, Windows 2003r2 and Windows 2008 server, all Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and 7 and all with public patches

* must get that Apple Mac toy.......

I think the problem is something like this...

The appearance of the new post markers is controlled by the timestamp of each post, and the "last visited" date, which as others have noticed, isn't getting set correctly. However, when you log out, and log in again, the last visited date IS set. So the problem seems to be when you leave the forum without logging out - i.e. when the server times you out. I'm thinking that this is probably a bug in the IPB software, and while we wait for a fix, the work-around might be to log out when you have finished a session on the forum, and therefore having to log in again the next time you visit. A bit of a pain, I know, but it might just make life easier!