"bob - 'ave You Got Bob's Torque Wrench?"

tackleberry

It would seem that I require a torque wrench bedding bolts etc- but baby needs new shoes as it were. Seeings as the branded version costs a fair wodge of cash, are there more value for money alternatives. Now I know what you are going to say - "If you want good groups you need a torque....." but 50 plus quid - I mean!

Anyone any ideas?

T

Yes you can call me a cheapskate of you want - but 50 QUID!!

• 5 weeks later...

The Anschutz riflles come with a remarkably simple but effective long handled allen key.

The key features a bend along its lenght, you simply put your finger in the bent bit, with the key sticking out at roughyl 90 degrees to the rifle, then gently lift the rifle.

The torque is defined by the lenght of the lever (which is fixed by the point you put your finger in the bent bit) and the weight of the rifle ... even allowing for errors in finger position and angle of the key, you should get a repeatablility of +- 10% which is probably as good as most torque wrenches anyway.

OK, so you dont get a nice cute scale to read off and an exact value to write down in your little black book, but it gives excellent results and costs about tuppence.