Bsa Century Match

Guest Bilbo

Hi all. I have recently purchased a BSA Century Match .22LR as my first rimfire, and would appreciate some help in locating a 5 shot magazine for it, as at present it is fitted with a single shot loading platform. It uses the same mag as those fitted to the BSA Supersport 5, as they also use the same action. I have purchased a magazine made in Kevlar, but would prefer an original item if anyone has one lurking at home.

Thanks, and all the best for the new year.

Steve Martin

Out of curiosity ... are there many competitions for that rifle in multi-shot mode? With a magazine its not elligible for "normal" comps (which is why its fitted with the single-shot platform) and with the magazine fitted I suspect it is outside the weight limits for Lightweight Sport Rifle ... (have to weigh it to find out I guess)

I suppose its elligible for the various "classic" rifle comps?

Just curious ...

Hi. I have read a fair bit about this particular rifle on the net, and have been informed that the Century had a foot in both camps, so to speak. It could be used with a mag for sporting, and changed for single shot mode for competitions within seconds. It made a good club/beginers gun, and was supplied when new with both the single loading platform and a 5 shot magazine. Weight is approx 8lb and although fitted with a very accurate barrel and Parker Hale PH17 rear sight plus PH tube/filament foresight, it was a little on the light side and rather small too, albeit 44 ins long. They are out-classed against the Martini Internationals and other rifles shooting in the HARC Post Veteran Class even though it is of post 1946 design. It is allowed to compete with other BSA 12/15 and 15 type rifles in the Veteran class due to its falling between classes. I am still going to give it a go and have some fun getting what I can out of my £35 worth. It is my first rifle after all. I still fancy a mag for it too, just to have the choice. Have a look at www.rifleman.org.uk as this site has a wealth of info about Brit rimfire rifles including the BSA range. I found it most interesting for detailed photographs and advertizing information of the period.

Regards.

Steve. :)

I am sure that you will enjoy the Century bilbo. I bought one years ago for my sons to start shooting, it served the purpose admirably and is still AFAIK doing the same job as a beginners rifle in the club I was then a member of. It was well made and had a very good trigger and barrel. I am not sure that I would have liked to lug around the fields all day, as it was a bit on the heavy side for a sporter, especially if you mounted a scope on it.

I always wonder "what might have been", if BSA had developed the Century with a better action and stock. Could they have given the Germans a run for their money?

With a scope and magazine, could be usable for LSR (can't remember the weight limit).

Rutty

Hi Rutty. Thanks for the info and positive comments about the Century. I have recently put in my application for my FAC so am champing at the bit to get the Bezza that is being held for me by a dealer on N/hants. My club probation period was very enjoyable using the club CZ .22LR and Remington .223, but it will be nice to have my own rifle to use, elderly though it is. I've held a shotgun certificate since 1982, so I hope that the process won't take too long. I'd best not hog the loot section with my ramblings, so hope to catch you on the ice.

Regards.

Steve. :rolleyes: