Not A Bug But Please Read

batty

Neil is there any chance of having a chat room for real time chat

I see that at some points in the day we have a fair few people online and i thought that it could be a good idea

What do other people think

cheers

Michelle

IRC maybe?

server:  irc.freenode.net

channel:  #smallbore

Please explain to those of us who don't have that particular anorak how this works. Preferably in words of one syllable.

Please explain to those of us who don't have that particular anorak how this works. Preferably in words of one syllable.

Seconded! If nobody tells how to do things, we'll never be able to learn!

And yes, I've tried reading the instructions.

And looking on the net.

I just can't translate the jargon into something I understand! :blink:

Hmm ... OK, for the uninitiated

IRC is an online chat protocol ... think of AOL Instant messenger, or Yahoo CHat or .. well theres millions of them, but IRC is the "generic" one ... not owned by any particular company, just out there on the net ...

To use IRC you need an IRC client ... I use Xchat, but there are others .. probably some of them are free. Xchat is at http://www.xchat.org mIrc is another that is at http://www.mirc.com .. if you type "IRC" into google, mirc.com is the first thing it finds ... both programs come with help files, probably far more comprehensive than my random witterings.

soemwhere in there set the server to irc.freenode.net, on mirc I think you then have to press connect, select the channel #smallbore .. or if its not in the channel list, type "/join #smallbore" .. really you need to just download either Xchat or mIrc and play with them for a bit to get the idea

With any luck you'll find at least one other shooter on there .. anything you type is visible to them the moment you press <return> so its a pretty good way of having a fairly lively, but not-too-intrusive debate over a luchtime

Because many people can be logged on to a single channel, and the results can be logged to a file, its a fairly useful; way of holding a meeting when people are all over the country, instead of a conference telephone call.

Seconded! If nobody tells how to do things, we'll never be able to learn!

And yes, I've tried reading the instructions.

And looking on the net.

I just can't translate the jargon into something I understand! :blink:

just typign "IRC" into google and downloading mIRC from the first link that google give you will be a good start maybe ..??

Sorry batty, hosting true live chat systems is pretty intensive on the server and

it's a policy we have decided to adopt to ensure that the integrity of the server

is kept as secure as possible.

I may be wrong but I'm not sure how much value adding such a chat room would

be, I'd rather see comments recorded so there is visibility and the search ability

for those who can't look during the day ;)

I think Neil's policy approach is right.

I am not sure to what extent other firms are monitoring/stopping Instant Messenger/Chat type arrangements but we have noticed a huge rise in this as a way of keeping non-work related stuff off the record such that our IT department have the go ahead to stop them altogether.

I have used them just a few time to keep up to date with my son when he was abroad so I can see where Robin is coming from with his conference chats.

Its a cheap way to communicate over long distance. A partner had his mobile nicked in Spain and he cancelled it. Vodafone cancelled the chip in his car at home and not the one in his phone and the thieves ran up a bill of over £1,000 in a couple of weeks which Vodafone have now agreed to credit as they messed up.

Most of the "older", "less techie" generation are not aware of these chat possibilities in preference to more traditional means of communication like phones, mobiles and email.