Trigger Shoe And Handstop

I wanted to get hold of a couple of items which will hopefully stop me having accidental let-offs and a crushed left hand on a regular basis...

i) a trigger shoe for an Anschutz 18 series (preferably something that swivels in its vertical axis like the one that looks like a wee silver meat-mallet)

ii) a handstop that takes the sling away from my hand (and has some adjustment in it) - something along the lines of the MEC one would be good....

Thanks for any help on these

I have a similar problem with accidental let off's but have never thought of using an anschutz trigger shoe to solve it. I normally get my girlfriends shoe insert with force to the offending area.

:D

Check ebay, there are quite often used handstops to be found; from memory a used 4751 Anschutz (the big black plastic one) went for about £25-30.

Chris, you should check eBay for something that will sort your problem too...

Bearing in mind the harmful effect of green house gases, I'm surprised someone hasn't invented "let off pants" that store the days nasty fumes so they can be reused, to power a small stove for example.

Guest ilovemybed

Ah - I see. I must admit to thinking your admission to accidental let-offs might have been a closer reference to a hair trigger... :ph34r:

Ah - I see. I must admit to thinking your admission to accidental let-offs might have been a closer reference to a hair trigger... :ph34r:

I'm glad we sorted that misunderstanding out

Hair isn't normally the trigger. I've never heard of eating hair or it causing an alergic reaction forcing you to let off. Accidental let off's are normally triggered by Beans or other high fibre foods.

ii) a handstop that takes the sling away from my hand (and has some adjustment in it) - something along the lines of the MEC one would be good....

I suggsest you look at the new HPS handstop ... it fits a standard rail and offers up to 22mm of lateral adjustment. Its simialr to the MEC one, but to my eye appears more attractive, has more adjustment and, if memory serves, is cheaper too.

I suggsest you look at the new HPS handstop ... it fits a standard rail and offers up to 22mm of lateral adjustment. Its simialr to the MEC one, but to my eye appears more attractive, has more adjustment and, if memory serves, is cheaper too.

The MEC and Gemini are nothing like each other, and the Gemini one is definitely a lot more expensive.

Innes, could you explain what you mean about getting it away from your hand? If you want it clipped in further forward on the rifle then either the Gemini or MEC will do that. If you want something that is deeper then the MEC is substantially deeper than the Gemini, which has no adjustment in this plane at all. There are a couple of Anschütz models that come close, but the MEC is the deepest of the lot.

Whatever you do, avoid that huge piece of black plastic c**p that Anschütz make. They all ought to be melted down!!!

Innes, did you mean a handstop where the sling clips in well ahead of your hand? Or one where the sling pressure on the hand is reduced by having the sling clip in closer to your hand.

After breaking my wrist (freak accident involving a calypso band and a ceilidgh) i found that I need the latter. The Anschutz hand stop with the quick-release lever has worked well for me. The handstop part is large enough to keep the swivel level with the back of my hand. This one can be offset left-right also, though not by as much as the Gemini I beleive.

Guest martincavie

Hi Guys,

This is my first response to a thread. I have recently bought an Anschutz 1813 and am having problems with the position of the handstop. I need to move the stop away from the centre of the forend and over to the left. After about 3 cards my left hand is completely numb.

Can anyone suggest a decent adjustable one? I have got quite large hands.

Cheers

Innes, could you explain what you mean about getting it away from your hand? If you want it clipped in further forward on the rifle then either the Gemini or MEC will do that

I've just got the Anschutz 6225 right now (the most basic one). Distance along the stock from my hand seems fine, but the vertical depth of the handstop isn't good enough (so squashes my palm against the rail)

I was going to try the anschutz 4752 (the one with quick release lever) if anyone thinks it's OK (possibly not worth getting the MEC or something better if I don't need any lateral movement (yet!!).

Any thoughts on a good trigger shoe are appreciated - I want something that rotates round the vertical axis; I liked the look of the wee silver meat mallet one - advice on whether this is good or bad are appreciated (also I wouldn't know wher you can buy them...)

cheers

Guest yardman9
Can anyone suggest a decent adjustable one? I have got quite large hands.

Like all things in shooting equipment, you need to try as many different things as possible. What works for one in all probability will not work for another. There are plenty of second hand items around, reasonably priced to try. If it doesn't work, sell it on.

JC

Guest Loco

Innes

Firstly, Glad you're still alive. No reply to email sent on Monday.

I had the same problem a while ago. First thing to do is get a new glove with better padding if you haven't already done so. I tried the Monard fingerless one but it wore out within the year so went back to Kustermann.

On the subject of premature let-offs. Have you cleaned your trigger? Is it adjusted properly? I would suggest you take it to the Anschutz service van at Bisley. What they generally do, is look at it. Laugh out loud then throw it in a bin and fit a replacement. Now only costs about £15 and well worth the money.

PS Are you going to come to one of these reunions? Bruce wasn't quick enough to decline so it's at his in Embra next year.

Loco