Light Weight Scope Stand

neil

I've tried a couple of scope stands of late but they are all pretty heavy.

Has anyone got or can recommend a lightweight scope stand/tripod that is still

stable and not easily toppled over?

Thanks

I use a small camera tripod - I think it's made by slik (?) It seems stable enough when I use it with a medium sized scope and because it's short it is ideal for putting on a table (& floor for prone). I think it costs around 25 quid - I can have a look at home tonight and might be able to tell you the model name / number. It folds down to about 10-12 inches long and can vary from that sort of height to about 3 foot max.

Rob.

The important question to ask first is what, if any, connection does your scope have for attachment to a stand. If you have a camera tripod threaded recess then you have the potential to use anything with a camera thread on the stand. Some scopes have no connection method and so you have to resort to some sort of sleeve/clamp on the stand to hold the scope in place.

If your scope is not up for replacement then you are limited to what you've got. I seem to remember that you bought a larger magnification lens for your scope body so I assume you intend keeping the current scope - has it got a tripod thread on it or not? If not then you might well be stuck with a Tucker type stand or similar with a sleev/clamp arrangement. If you have a tripod thread then you might find that there are possibilities with an aluminium based L shaped stand but yours is quite a heavy scope and the legs will need to be long enough to carry the weight!

For fear of invoking any wrath about advertising I'd better send you a pm before mentioning any names ;)

Ever thought about putting on a kneeling roll. It has several advantages.

a. It's light

b. You don't have to worry about screw threads.

c. You can pretty much form it to any shape.

d. Its stable

e. Very difficult to break

f. You can squash it in your kit bag with ease.

Might sound a bit of a whacky idea but I've seen lots of the German national team using one

Several members of our club have now bought a Swift scope (model 836 Lynx). Comes complete with tripod (which is actually a bit small - but hey, it does have a tripod mount!) :D It's angled, a very compact size, has a retractable sunshade B) , zooms from 15-45x60mm :blink: has a separate, adjustable focus ring and even comes with a photo adaptor (OK, so all shooters aren't necessarily into astrophotography, but you never know till you try..! B) ) The optics are just stunning. :o

Rose

Got ours at a discount through Roger Chitty - not sure of his source ;)

A web search turns up US links only - I have a feeling Roger has imported a batch of them. You may be able to order one online.

See http://www.binocularsdirect.com/Swift_Spot...slazlaypcm.html

Rose

Neil

If you’re not in a hurry, I will have a look for you while I am over the pond in December. You want a lightweight tripod stand what height?

Thanks for the info Rose

Thanks Trev and no, I'm not in any particular hurry.

My scope is a Kowa TS1 and itself is not the lightest - that may have to be

investigated at a later date too ;)

The scope stand or tripod needs to be lights but sturdy (and capable of

withstanding uneven firing points ;))

I will take the cover off the scope and check on the attachment it has.

Neil:

I just weighed the Swift - 580g compared to my old Greenkat which is 600g. I use the Swift on one the NSRA's scope stands, which is pretty sturdy. It attaches via a tripod mount.

Rose

Neil

Take a look at my one next time you are in the club

Jim

Perhaps its time to add a “Not for the faint hearted” section to the Forum :lol: