Parts For Walther Bolt

Emma

Guest ilovemybed

I guess different people prefer different positions.

I was suprised to hear earlier that Mac likes it best when he is on his knees.

(sorry Mac, all in the name of double entendre...)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting is definitely an endurance sport that requires stamina and you should come off the firing point completely knackered if you've put the proper amount of effort and concentration into your performance!

This was clearly lacking in Emma's friend who fell short by dropping his bolt, probably through a complete lack of concentration. More training is required I suggest including visualisation of the perfect performance B)

Indeed so, practice does indeed make perfect. I can't say I;ve actually met Emmas friend, but assuming he is a student, I shouldn;t be suprised if he was very dissappointed to drop his bolt and then put in a poor performance on the range. Knowing students all too well, I expect he will have taken matters into his own hands and set about rectifying the problem with a training programme consisting of many long hours of ''dry firing' practice in the comfort of his bedroom ;)

Dry firing is cheap and a very useful way of training when you dont have access to a range. A word of caution though: when training in a communal lodging ( as many students will have to do) it is as well to make sure to lock the door, as if someone enter the room un-announced, they may be startled to see you lying on the floor with your equipment out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you guys, you have been truly generous with your advice for Emma's friend. I'm sure he's not the only one who will benefit. However, there are a few aspects you have failed to cover.

Outdoor shooting, for a start. I have done very little shooting outdoors, as I discovered that while it can be a joy in summer, it is far too cold in winter.

Windy conditions are best avoided; wind is very unpredictable and, consequently, are your scores as a result.

I would urge more shooters not to hurry their preparations at the firing point, and once settled down, to use all their alloted time. Rushing the details will only produce unsatisfactory results.

It is bad manners to leave the firing point in the middle of a detail, as is taking a mobile phone down with you. I have heard of someone answering a mobile in the middle of a detail, why he wasn't diqualified I'll never know!

I know some people like to go night shooting. Usually in the back of Land Rover, in order to collect a meal. I hear all the jolting in rough fields has caused more than one bad back!

Well Kafee what can we say:

I hope you too gained some insite as well.

Wind can of course be a problem: and there are several ways in which to overcome this, when ejecting and inserting a new one, the breach should not be left open an excessive time as this can lead to rapid cooling and in-consistancy.

The last thing we want is rapid cooling of the bore now do we, best to keep things on the boil so to speack.

Wind may also be found to be amuzing especially to those experiancing the problem.

With regards to night shooting, this can be very enjoyable by all parties concerned,

although wind can be an issue, a little wind can be very useful, out in the open air who cares, and when you are using 'proper' cannons much less of an issue.

You can generally bang away all night to your hearts content, depends on your stamina and a willing partner or two (normally best done in three's), (for safty reasons.)

And sometimes speed of loading/ejection is of the essence, depending on the circumstances, so taking time is not an option, 'aquire your 'target' and give it the good news, obviously assesing the situation for potential hazards etc.

General pratice having given the good news is to sit back relax, have a smoke,

inspect, and get ready to go again. Generally moving to another area for variety, and causing least disturbance to the other local inhabitants.

Good communication between all concerned is key.

Rushing or haste is certaintly different from a quick one, rushing at night can certainly lead to major disssatifaction, you will often not get a second oportunity to score.

I doubt very much wether Emma's friend is ready to advance to such a level yet, having displayed such poor bolt control in the first place, I doubt he has the stamina, skill or control. :rolleyes:

till next time

you all take care :ph34r:

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Windy conditions are best avoided; wind is very unpredictable and, consequently, are your scores as a result. 

I think that should be rephrased slightly, to:”Windy conditions are best avoided; wind is very unpredictable and, consequently, it may affect your opponents scores as a result.” taking into account that the new ISSF rules state that kilts may not be worn, I wonder if this new ruling has anything to do with unpredictable windy conditions.

I would not wear my kilt on the range, the last time I wore it was when I was 4 years old, it’s a tad small now.

Well, I showed this thread to the party concerned, and he promptly sent me an e-mail with his reply:

Hello there one and all,

It is Emma's "friend" here.  As in the one who has been having "bolt"

trouble.  I have seeked professional help and they have given my the

following advice which some of you suggested:

-Ensure proper lubrication on you bolt especially around the head but ensure

that you keep the firing pin recess clear otherwise cookoff may occur.

-Ensure proper protection is used for the bolt at all times

-As far as bolt ejection is concerned Emma will testify (along with the lady

4 lanes down) that my ejector is working fine

-Cleaning up is something you should do whether you have scored well or not

as it could cause a slip hazard.

-It has been reconmended that cleaning the barrel with a rod and bristle

(can cause gratting) after a while can save one from embarrasing oneself

during a potentially bad score

-Timing was mentioned but as long as you go at a steady pace you should be

ok, although be warned you may need to speed up at the end when time is an

issue

-smooth bolt action aids in a better score as inconsistant rhythm can put

you off your game totally and that of your target

-Eye alignment is critical as looking in the wrong place during a detail can

put (you) off the target.  The best thing to do is to look into the black of

the "eye" but don't stare too long or that can have adverse effects.

Thank you all for your advice to get me through this difficult time and in

the style of Tony Clayton (for those of you who have done proper shooting

before(7.62mm)) "Good shooting to you all."

Emma's friend

Emma, I'm glad your friend appreciated all the advice extended to him by this body of experienced sportsmen. However, he still hasn't answered the burning question; what was he doing up a ladder with his bolt in an unsafe condition! ;)

• 2 weeks later...