Rifle Valuation

iRommel

I've been tasked with valuing a rifle from a retired club member to sell on to other club members at a fair price. I was wondering whether anyone here could help with that.

The rifle looks to be an Anschutz 1813 super match in an early Gemini stock. It comes with a hand stop, seemingly original Anschutz sights, Centra iris and Centra foresight with level. I've attached some photos of it to an album.

Anyone care to take a stab at a price that would be fair for both parties?

Thanks

You may want to see here, http://forum.stirton.com/index.php/topic/257-please-read/ , but soliciting valuations is not permitted.

Aside from that I'd say the stock is actually a late model Ultra, before the current FR703 was launched in 2004. The original Geminis were square edged ahead of the triggerguard. It's late '90s or early 2000s.

I had read the rules before posting but thought it would be OK as it specifically mentions asking for a valuation when the intention is to sell something on this forum, which is not the case here. Maybe I just interpreted them wrong, sorry!

Thanks for the info eitherway.

I'd always assumed the issue was with soliciting a value and then selling on here Tim, obviously because of the potential for arguments, etc...

My brother bought a similar rifle (same stock, handstop, foresight and buttplate but with a 2013 barrel and action and Hammerli rearsight) for £1000. That was an exceptionally good deal though, so I'd say somewhere in the region of £1000 doesn't sound unfair. It does depend on the level of usage of the barrel and the condition it's been kept in though.

I'd go with James, as it says:

"It has been brought to my attention that is probably not best etiquette to ask for/solicit price advice, and then try and sell it here."

So if you are not selling it on here, then just asking for advice on valuation for use elsewhere seems perfectly kosher..

Very nice looking rifle by the way - £1000 really doesn't sound unfair.

Rgds

Well, in for a penny.

I'd say an 1813 barrel would be worth less than a 2013 in similar condition. Firstly any 2013 will be younger than any 1813; the 2013 was introduced in about 1991, whereas the 1813 was replaced in 1987, and production started in 1980. In this case the seller may well be the original owner, and knows the full history, but when a rifle is sold 3rd or 4th hand and there is no provenance, it's not unreasonable to assume an older barrel has a higher "mileage". Even if the rifle is shooting well now, higher mileage means it may loose accuracy sooner. Secondly the 2013 has always been more expensive than Match 54 rifles, which should carry over the second hand prices.

The rifle in the photos does look very clean and tidy.

That seems high, unless the barrel is in very good condition, as the Ultra latterly went for £900 new. My '79 vintage 1613 looked immaculate when I retired in in 2010, but it wouldn't consistently hold the 10-ring at 100 yards.

You might wish to approach it a little differently. What would it be worth in its original stock and does the owner still have that stock? Now, what is the premium for the Ultra stock and what would that stock fetch if sold separately?

I have a feeling that barrel and action in original stock + Ultra sold separately might yield a bit more.

Rutty

Doesn't matter, there was a question of age, not shoe size:

the 1813 was replaced in 1987, and production started in 1980.

Besides Tim already covering what you just said, it's up to the current owner to prove it's accurate; the barrel stamp will give its age.

I was not inferring one would give the other.

James,

Blimey you must be good! You'd have to be going some to knacker a barrel in fours years shooting Prone/3-P; Anschutz reckon their barrels are good for 100,000 rounds, with some lasting longer, and some a little less. Unless a four year old barrel has been owned by a very serious shooter, or bulged, or cleaned with a rusty coat hanger and battery acid, I'd expect it to have a good amount of life left, at least by my standards.

I know of early-production 1813s that are still producing competitive scores at county level, although others of the same vintage have given up the ghost, to be replaced by a Border/Maddco/Lilja etc.

Huey,

that's quite right, although as the 1813 was produced for a fairly short space of time, you have a good enough idea. Now with a 1913 the exact age is more important, the barrel could be 1987 or 2017. This is assuming the seller knows what they have. That's not an issue here, but some owners think everything is a 1913.